Almighty - The 25th Anniversary

Talk about all things Almighty... the label, the mixes, the artists

Moderators: Lynn Almighty, Susie Almighty, The Almighty Crew

Almighty - The 25th Anniversary

by Jason Davis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:02 pm

It is coming up very soon - within the next 2 years or less ... the first single being (for those who do not know, OBSESSION's now classic cover of LIMAHL's "The Neverending Story").

If you had your wish, what would you like to see to celebrate such a milestone?

This is pretty amazing for any label - especially an NRG label that is also an independent.

:?:

Think hard about it, I will - it is certainly something to celebrate as they kept NRG alive through some of the darkest days the genre has ever seen with quality products and have produced some real classic releases.

Jason. :D
Please note : http://www.eurodancehits.com main - now relaunched - do join and participate!

PLEASE NOTE : The monthly EURO-HiNRG charts still be available without interruption at : http://charts.eurodancehits.com/euronrg/

eurodancehits_jason@yahoo.com
Jason Davis
Glorious Member
Glorious Member

by mixboy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:47 pm

was it 1989 or 1990 i cant remember, the first track i remember on the actual label was "love insurance" i have the 12" single, Never Ending Story came out via Loading Bay
mixboy
Star member
Star member

by The Almighty Crew » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 pm

We have not given this a thought - 2 years away!! Fact is we got the idea to make a track in 1989. The first track was ALMY 001 'Never Ending Story' by Obsession. It was released in 1990 on Almighty and then licensed to Duncan at 'Loading Bay' - who was far better at selling and distribution.
The Almighty Crew
http://twitter.com/#!/almightycrew

by auntie babs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 pm

Never too early to start planning Almighty. I mean two years will fly.

A Best of Almighty CD seems an obvious if rather ordinary idea (I would buy it tho)

How about a box set of Almighty's best and most important singles (CD of course) with perhaps a few new tracks?

EG Sarah Washington's I Will Always Love You (biggest hit)
Obsessions Never Ending Story (1st single)
Indigo's Haven't You Heard (Representing QAF)

And perhaps as a new track a Band Aid Type single with as many of the Almighty artists you can get into one room to record?
a hard man is good to find
auntie babs
Star member
Star member

by jasonc39 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 pm

R.I.P. Duncan Finlayson!! smashing bloke he was!!

a Band Aid type single? maybe, We Are The World? haha!

jase
jasonc39
Gold member

by Kris » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 am

Two Decades Of Dance? (just guessing)
Personally I think they've already done their fair share of Best Of-releases and I'm not looking forward to yet another remix package of Never Ending Story.
A compilation of unreleased Almighty remixes would be nice 8)
Kris
Glorious Member
Glorious Member

by Jason Davis » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:42 am

I gave it some thought and I like the idea of a charitable % going to charity - a 'best of' album voted on here at the site for say 1 year with the full list of the top 40 selling songs - and no one knows the results except Almighty - then remix them with this one track (the first AIDS charity song, maybe with the original vocals if possible) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvjFrouR4hI

"That's What Friends Are For" ;)
(as a special album only track - no downloads, only available on the physical CD)

As for the % it could be done easily based on unit sales, and it would be a lovely anniversary CD with a limited pressing of 5000 worldwide.

Jason. :)
Please note : http://www.eurodancehits.com main - now relaunched - do join and participate!

PLEASE NOTE : The monthly EURO-HiNRG charts still be available without interruption at : http://charts.eurodancehits.com/euronrg/

Jason Davis
Glorious Member
Glorious Member

by Giancarlo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:40 am

Whatever this release will be, it has to have the potential to be a collectible for years to come.

With this in mind, how about a multi-CD release? Forget the double, triple, or quadruple cd releases of the past. Make it a 10 CD release. Devote one cd to 2 years in Almighty's history, with the top 5 singles from each year. Put all these CDs in a leather cd holder with Almighty's logo embossed on the front, make it a limited edition (maybe 500 or so copies), and you have an instant collectible! :D

Or, make a theme for each cd in the set. Cd 01 could be titled "Bestsellers", cd 02 could be "Most Requested", cd 03 could be "Unreleased Mixes"...... you get the idea :idea:

For a more futuristic approach, take these tracks and load them as mp3s in a USB flash stick. Trick out the flash stick with the Almighty logo (maybe make the flash stick in the shape of the Almighty Spaceman). Include some new wallpapers and/ or screensavers. Again, make it a limited edition, with each flash stick numbered.

All this being said, please reserve one for me :wink:

ciao - Gianni
Giancarlo
Gold member

by ctc43f » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:02 am

Kris wrote:Two Decades Of Dance? (just guessing)
Personally I think they've already done their fair share of Best Of-releases and I'm not looking forward to yet another remix package of Never Ending Story.
A compilation of unreleased Almighty remixes would be nice 8)

It would be nice if Almighty would provide a list of both licenses and covers that are obscure or unreleased but that they COULD in fact put on an album like this. Then we could at least vote on what was possible versus listing tracks that couldn't be revived.

That said, I would still love to see the Master Mix of Are You Ready To Fly? and the version of Chains from the Rochelle - Higher megamix in full.
ctc43f
Gold member

by auntie babs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 am

jasonc39 wrote:R.I.P. Duncan Finlayson!! smashing bloke he was!!

a Band Aid type single? maybe, We Are The World? haha!

jase

Well, We Are The World wasn't really what I was thinking of, more a Crusing The Street, Glad To Be Gay, Homosexuality type track or a "Dance Trance Medley" a-la Boystown Gang type single.
a hard man is good to find
auntie babs
Star member
Star member

20 years!

by Cudsie » Tue May 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Hmm now that is an interesting thought - and you're quite right that it should be given some thought now rather than 6 months or (in Almighty's case more likely 3 months!) before the actual date.

Its also tough to come up with a single defining solution that would please everybody and do justice to the occasion. (this is assuming Almighty will actually still be here in a couple of years time!)

I think the main problem with Giancarlo's otherwise good suggestion is that those type of commemorative packages are notoriously expensive and never recoup the money spent on them and hang around for years to come like an embarassment and end up being given away for next to nothing just to make space! (there will no doubt be mistakes from missing tracks to typos which would cheapen the product also) - I do like the idea tho! just in practice I can't see it being successful (perhaps it should be a fan made project ?)

Looking back at the 10th anniversary album "A Decade of Dance" is interesting - clearly a simple but effective way of showcasing some of Almighty's work over the first 10 years. Business sense might say re-issue that with another 2 discs for the 2nd 10 years.

The main problem there being the "fans" won't want to buy the first album again just to get the 2nd and also being mix cd's again the DJ's and hardcore will wonder whats the point? You might well argue the "Ultimate Dance Albums" fulfill most of that criteria anyway so no need to do another one apart from subsequent releases after the last one.

To be properly representative it should also include the top remixes from commissions - which could have many problems with regard to licensing and therefore profitability (perhaps all the more reason to look into that NOW rather than 18 months down the line!)

All the key "acts" should also be represented somehow (Obsession, Abbacadabra, Rochelle, Jackie 'O', Belle Lawrence, Deja Vu (and prolly some of the lesser ones like Nat browne, Hannah Jones, Tracey Cole, Jamie Knight etc). Wether thats by taking their top best hit and remixing it or doing a mini mega mix of their best work (again that won't please the fans!) I just don't really know. The main concern is that of course by its nature all the work will be recycled so it needs to be special to appeal to the "hardcore" somehow.

One aspect I would like to see is the key contributors to Almighty come out of the closet so to speak for once and each right a paragraph about what Almighty has meant for them over the years. Maybe the singers introduce by way of a paragraph their favourite vocal session/track and showcase that on the CD. the key remixers can do the same and maybe Andy Wetson can do one for commissions (getting round the nightmare of re-licensing many tracks?).

That means a proper booklet for a change and of course PHOTO's !! *gulp* Of course a proper souvenir book would be out of the question but that would be marvelous to get the viewpoints of many other people in the dance/club community (those that are still with us of course :-/) both here and abroad.

It goes without saying that there should be a bloody big party somewhere of course! With whatever product actually does get made being showcased. hate to say it but they should take over G-A-Y one night (prolly the Friday) and make it an Almighty night one night with promotions and giveaways (I can see Martyn having a coronary now!)

anyway - lets keep this thread alive with suggestions - maybe something amazing will come from it?!
Cudsie

by Trisha » Tue May 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Cudsie darling....

are you using a dictaphone or something, or one of those voice to email type programs.....it would take me days to write as much as that post!

or maybe those secretarial college days didn't go to waste after all......

some nice but improbable ideas in there though.....
Trisha
Bronze member

by Funky G » Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 pm

Oh my, how that would be great to see some paragraphs from the actual Almighty vocalists on their favorite tracks or sessions they have done for the label over the years. But we all know something like a CD sleeve containing something like that would be VERY expensive for Almighty to do. Maybe they could do a compilation greatest hits album in their custom CDr format like they do for their singles today, rather than have a factory pressed bunch of CDs as much I hate even suggesting CDr over factory CDs :(
Come visit us at our brand new site for the best in animal care.

www.petsittersathome.com
Funky G
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Almighty's 20th Anniversay in 2010 :

by Jason Davis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I wondered if there had been an decision whether to do a top 20 (best selling) remix album for all the songs from the last 20 years on a 2 disc set in 2010 for the anniversary?

Jason Davis
Glorious Member
Glorious Member

Re: Almighty's 20th Anniversay in 2010 :

by djrio2003 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Jason Davis wrote:I wondered if there had been an decision whether to do a top 20 (best selling) remix album for all the songs from the last 20 years on a 2 disc set in 2010 for the anniversary?

Almighty said they were going to issue 2 Albums as part of the Anniversary Celebrations and take the best selling track from each of the Absolute Albums Series and remix them for that release. :D
djrio2003
Star member
Star member

Next

Return to Almighty Music